"You're a special kind of broken"


At some point in our lives, most of us have been persuaded to believe powerful and self-defeating lies about ourselves.  Those lies probably included things like, "I'm not special.  I'm the worst kind of normal.  I'm not just average, I'm less than average."

Another lie that Satan may have persuaded you to believe may be, "You're broken in a special way.  Other people don't have the same problems you have.  The fight is harder for you than it is for others.  They don't know what it's like, they don't understand, and they can't help you because you are more messed up than they are."

Essentially, Satan worked to persuade us that the only thing special about us was how we were "broken" or "messed up."  This subtle reversal of reality is surprisingly powerful.

When Satan can persuade us that there is nothing inherently special about us, he sends the message that there is no divine spark within us.  We are nothing more than an average, mortal, human.  This message can sap hope and murder potential.

When Satan persuades us that we are broken in a unique way, he sends the message that we are beyond help.  Other people can't understand, so there is no way that they can support or aid us.  Part of why this lie is so easy to believe is because we often can't see how hard things are for others.

When I was a teenager, I thought I had a unique difficulty with motivation.  I thought that I was the only person my age who struggled summoning the motivation to do things I disliked.  For some reason I thought that other teenagers had surpluses of motivation tucked away somewhere and that they never had an issue getting themselves to do tasks that they resented.  When I said as much out loud, I was shocked to learn every teenager ever struggles with motivation!  I thought I was more broken than the people around me and that they couldn't understand what I was going through.  In reality, I was so focused on my issues that I couldn't see that everybody around me had the exact same problem.

If we believe these lies, we believe that we are a typical person with immense problems.  We are duped into thinking that we are so weak and our issues are so complex that we can't solve them alone, and no one else can understand enough to help us.

These potent lies are, shockingly, a reversal of how things really are.  God made each of His children unique individuals.  Each is inherently special because they are His, and they each carry the spark of divinity that He placed within them.

Each of us is "broken," but we are all broken in the same way.  Because of the Fall of Adam and Eve, we are all cut off from the presence of the Lord and are susceptible to the temptations that surround us.  In other words, you are special. And though you may be broken, you are broken in the same way and same amount as everybody else. And that brokenness is made whole when we come to our Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

To hire me as your life coach where we can create a plan to put the above principles into practice for you, follow this link.  Fighting Like a Dragon - Life Coaching

No comments:

Post a Comment

Systematic Repentance: a structured approach to change

Repentance can be such a daunting word. As a 20-year-old missionary trying to help people come closer to Jesus Christ, I thought I understoo...